The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp is a 2-week technology education and mentoring residential camp organized by W.TEC, with the objective of helping girls develop an early interest in computers and other information technology. To have an awesome time and for the teenagers to learn in a most conducive atmosphere, W.TEC is partnering with Laureates College with support from Lagos State Ministry of Education to make the program a grand success. This will also ensure that the Girls are at the centre of advanced technology learning and much more.
The long-term goal is to increase the numbers of Nigerian women using technology productively for learning, professional and leadership activities. The camp is open to 40 girls; and workshops will include Animation Programming with Scratch/Alice/Raspberry Pi, Mobile Application Development, Photography/Digital Video Production, Computer Hardware – Assembling/Dissembling, Business Plan Writing, Career Talks and Excursions to technology companies.
During the camp, the girls will participate in technology workshops and leadership activities. Evaluations of previous camps show enhanced leadership skills; creativity; and problem-solving and communication abilities in the girls as a result of attending the camp.
Girls will participate in the following activities:
- SCRATCH Programming
- Animation Programming – Alice3
- Mobile Application Design
- Computer Hardware
- Digital Photography
- Digital Video Production
- Career Talks
- Business Plan Writing
- Gender and Leadership
- Exciting career talk sessions with pioneering women working in technology
- 2 Exciting excursions to cutting-edge technology companies
Fun & Recreational Activities:
- Health and Fitness
- Karaoke and BBQ Night
- Movie Nights
The young women will work individually and in teams on their projects for various sessions. These session activities will be highly interactive, with emphasis on practice and learning-by-doing.
The following criteria applies:
- Teenage girls no younger than 13 and not older than 17 years
- Intelligent and ambitious
- Interested in and enjoys using computers and exploring the Internet
- Planning or exploring a career using computers and/or other information and communication technology (ICTs)
- Interested in finding solutions to problems in their communities
Format: Residential Camp (The girls will stay at the camp venue for the duration of the programme)
Date: July 31 – August 13, 2016
Duration: 2 Weeks
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Fee: N 100,000 per student (Covers tuition, feeding, boarding, educational resources and excursions.)
Scholarships are available for public school students.
The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp is highly competitive, so be sure to apply quickly. Watch this video to learn what our 2013 alumnae had to say about their experience at the camp.
- Testimonials from 2015 Camp Participants – Video
- Promo for 2014 W.TEC Girls Technology Camp – Video
- “Why I Loved the Camp” – 2013 Camp Alumnae share their experiences – Video
- Intel supported our 2013 camp in a fun way. Learn how. – Video
- See pictures from the 2013 Girls Technology Camp – Photos
- Photos from other W.TEC programmes – Photos