The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp is a 2-week technology education and mentoring programme organized by W.TEC, with the objective of helping girls develop an early interest in computers and other information technology. For the camp duration, the girls will participate in technology workshops. The long-term goal is to increase the numbers of Nigerian women using technology productively for learning, professional and leadership activities.
The camp is open to 40 girls; and workshops will include Alice Programming, Mobile Application Designing (using App Inventor), Digital Video Production, Productivity Tools that enhance entrepreneurial skills e.g. Mind-map, blogger, Social Media, and Excursions to technology companies.
During the camp, the will girls participate in technology workshops and leadership activities. Evaluations of previous camps show enhanced leadership skills; creativity; and problem-solving and communication abilities in the girls as a result of attending the camp.
Girls will participate in the following activities:
- Be introduced to programming concepts using Alice and Raspberry Pi
- Design and programme mobile apps using MIT’s AppInventor2
- Learn productivity tools for micro-businesses – YouTube, social media
- Social Media – staying safe online!
Technology Career Sessions:
- Exciting career talk sessions with pioneering women working in technology
- 2 exciting excursions to cutting-edge technology companies
Digital Media Workshops:
- Produce and edit a film using Adobe Premier
- Create blogs and digital multimedia content
- Learn about digital advocacy i.e. using their digital spaces for championing social causes
Fun & Recreational Activities:
- Arts and Craft
- BBQ Night
- Movie Nights
- Health & Fitness
The young women will work both individually and in teams for project assignments. The activities will be highly interactive, with emphasis on practice and learning-by-doing.
Target Audience: This is a girls-only camp and the criteria are girls who are:
- Intelligent, ambitious and currently in JSS 2 – SSS 2 (no younger than 11 years)
- Interested in and enjoys using computers and exploring the Internet
- Planning or exploring a career using computers and/or other information and communication technology (ICTs) e.g. telecommunications
Format: Residential Camp (The girls will stay at the camp venue for the duration of the programme)
Date: August 2 – 15, 2015
Length: 2 Weeks
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Fee: N 50,000 per student (Covers tuition, feeding, boarding, educational resources and excursions.)
Scholarships are available for public school students.
The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp is highly competitive, so be sure to apply quickly. Watch this video to learn what our 2013 alumnae had to say about their experience at the camp.
- Promo for 2014 W.TEC Girls Technology Camp – Video
- “Why I Loved the Camp” – 2013 Camp Alumnae share their experiences – Video
- Intel supported our 2013 camp in a fun way. Learn how. – Video
- See pictures from the 2013 Girls Technology Camp – Photos
- Photos from other W.TEC programmes – Photos